When used properly, fire extinguishers can save lives and property by helping you put out small fires while you wait for additional help to arrive. MMG Fire Equipment offers a full line of fire extinguisher services.
- Fire extinguisher repairs & testing
- Fire extinguisher recharge
- Fire extinguisher sales
- Fire extinguisher installation
- Fire extinguisher training
- And other portable fire extinguisher services!
All of our Fire Extinguisher Technicians are Certified by the International Code Council (ICC) and are certified as ICC Portable Fire Extinguisher Technician.
Fire Extinguisher Inspection & Service
We can keep your fire extinguishers serviced so they will be ready when you need them. In our inspections, our technicians perform routine fire extinguisher inspection, testing, and maintenance. All of our portable fire extinguisher technicians are trained, tested, and licensed to service and recharge portable fire extinguishers.
- Annual Inspections – The IFC and NFPA your local jurisdiction require fire extinguisher inspections to be conducted regularly.
- 6-Year Maintenance – The fire extinguisher is broken down and checked for damage. The “O” ring and valve stem are replaced and the extinguisher is recharged.
- Hydro-Test – Every 12 years the fire extinguisher is broken down and emptied. The cylinder is tested for defects. If the cylinder passes it is recharged with new chemical and put back in service. (Required every 5 years for CO2,Water, and K Class fire extinguishers.)
Find out below what to expect during service.
What Kind of Fire Extinguisher Do I Need?
Business owners often have a lot of questions about fire extinguishers—what size and type do I need? How many portable fire extinguishers should I get, and where should I put them all? Let MMG Fire Equipment licensed technicians and knowledgeable staff help you choose the correct size, number, and type of extinguishers for you. We can save you money by strategically installing new portable fire extinguishers while abiding by the fire code requirements.
Do you need standard ABC fire extinguishers for your office building? How about a special class D fire extinguisher for your chemical laboratory? A K-Guard kitchen class fire extinguisher? Whatever your fire extinguisher needs are, MMG Fire Equipment has you covered!
Are regular portable fire extinguishers enough for your business, or do you need something more specific?
Find out what to expect during service.
Fire Extinguisher Installation
When you own a business, you have a responsibility to keep your employees and customers safe from harm. One way to ensure this is to install fire extinguishers in accordance with local fire codes. These portable firefighting canisters act as your first line of defense against a fire, so you certainly don’t want to be without them if a blaze breaks out.
Fire Extinguisher Installation Options
Anywhere a possible fire hazard exists, the law requires you to install fire extinguishers. With all the regulations surrounding how and where fire extinguishers should be installed, it’s best to leave the job to the experienced technicians MMG Fire Equipment.
Fire extinguishers have a few different installation options based on your needs:
- Fire extinguisher brackets mount to the wall and hold canisters up off the floor, but still within sight.
- Fire extinguisher cabinets house canisters behind a breakable glass door to prevent tampering until an emergency strikes.
- Portable fire extinguisher stands make it easy to relocate canisters as needed in order to meet fire codes during temporary events or concerts.
While you hope you never have to use them, it’s still important to install the correct fire extinguishers in your building. Different fires require different extinguishing methods depending on what the fuel source is. MMG Fire Equipment has experience installing fire extinguishers to put out all five categories of fire, which include:
- Class A: Common fires that include the combustion of wood, cloth, paper, plastic and other ordinary combustibles.
- Class B: Fires caused when flammable liquids ignite.
- Class C: Electrical fires that occur when wiring or appliances overheat and cause a spark.
- Class D: Uncommon fires caused when shards of flammable metals (including sodium, magnesium and titanium) ignite.
- Class K: Kitchen fires that involve overheated grease and cooking oil.
The type of fire hazard found in your building, office or restaurant determines the type of fire extinguishers you should install. If you’re not sure of your risks, MMG Fire Equipment can help you choose the right number and type of fire extinguishers to ensure your business is compliant.
What to Expect During Service:
- After an appointment is made MMG Fire equipment will send you an email/text confirmation. You will also receive an email/text reminder an hour before the scheduled service. Our service technician will arrive at your location at the scheduled time. If for any reason the time changes we will notify you.
- During service our Portable Fire Extinguisher Technician will service your existing fire extinguishers in accordance with IFC, NFPA10, and manufacture specifications.
- Our technician will also make sure you have the right type and size fire extinguishers for your type of occupancy and hazards at your location. Technician will also make sure you have the correct number of fire extinguishers. If needed our technician can add or install new fire extinguishers if needed.
- If any fire extinguishers are required to come out for service such as refill/recharging, 6-year maintenance, or hydrostatic test. We will leave loaners at your location while we service your fire extinguishers. Sometimes we can return the fire extinguishers in the same day.
- Overall our portable fire extinguisher will walk your entire building/property to ensure you are in compliance with IFC, NFPA10, manufactures specification, and your insurance company requirements. If any discrepancies are noted our technician will notify you and make you aware of what is required to be done to become complaint. We usually can correct all defectives while at your location.
- If you have brand new building or new construction site we are also capable of figuring out how many fire extinguishers you need and where to place them.. We do not charge extra for this service nor do we charge to install the fire extinguishers for you.
Portable Fire Extinguisher Training
It’s one thing to own a fire extinguisher—it’s another thing entirely to know how to use it! To extinguish a fire with a portable extinguisher, a person must be able access to the fire extinguisher, know how to activate the unit and know how to apply the agent effectively—all in the span of a few seconds. MMG Fire Equipment can provide comprehensive on-site training for your employees to ensure proper and safe use of your portable fire extinguishers.
Our fire extinguisher technicians all have an emergency service background and code enforcement experience. All of our fire extinguisher technicians are certified by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) National Association of Fire Equipment Distributors (NAFED), and hold the International Code Council (ICC) certification for Portable Fire Extinguisher Technician.
The International Fire Code (IFC) adopted in New York State requires fire extinguishers to be installed in almost every type of structure, construction site, and certain events. Basically everywhere except one and two family homes. Although the IFC may not require fire extinguishers in one and two family homes certain city’s/towns/villages etc. may have stricter standards. And MMG Fire Equipment and NFPA strongly recommend having a fire extinguisher in your home.
Read our FAQ for more preventive care of extinguishers.
Had a customer who ordered a 10lb ABC dry chemical Kidde Brand from Amazon. The extinguisher discharged in the box. Stay away form this brand. They are made primarily in Mexico and China with cheap plastic parts. Next time your at Home Depot or Lowes where they also sell this brand take a look at what they use on their walls for fire extinguishers, its not Kidde. Although Kidde advertised the one in the picture below as a 10b ABC dry chemical if you look closer you will see it does not have the same rating as the 10lb ABC we sell. Meaning you would have to buy two of the Kidde brand to equal one that we sell. <